Normally, tears form a protective film over the surface of the eye, lubricating movement and washing away debris and any toxins.
Dry eye is a sore, gritty sensation caused by too little tear production or poor quality tears that form an inadequate film. Dry eye can be painful and cause sensitivity to bright light or open air and wind. Despite the name, the irritation of dry eye may trigger excessive tears. Take a look at our product range for dry eyes.
Common causes of dry eye:
- Increasing age
- Hormonal changes in women (eg, pregnancy, menopause, oral contraceptive)
- Eyelid (meibomian) gland inflammation – you may have red eyelid margins and scaly eyelashes (blepharitis)
- Medications – eg, decongestants, antihistamines, oral contraceptives, antidepressants, Isotretinoin for acne, blood pressure tablets and ‘red eye’ drops
- Diseases – eg, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, asthma, thyroid disease, other immune diseases
- Computer use – users tend to blink less wearing contact lenses.
If you’re suffering from dry eyes, we can provide you with a solution